The Cumberland Regional High School is carved out of the northwest section of Cumberland County, New Jersey. Six municipalities whose boundaries are the same as the school districts in them, are served by the school. Districts include (1) Deerfield Township, (2) Fairfield Township, (3) Greenwich Township, (4) Hopewell Township, (5) Stow Creek Township, and (6) Upper Deerfield Township. The District encompasses 162 square miles.
On December 10, 1974, the county superintendent appointed the initial school board, which by law consisted of nine members. Each constituent district was mandated to have one representative, with the additional two members being appointed from the districts having the highest proportion of the population.
On May 12, 1976, ground breaking ceremonies for the new Cumberland Regional High School were held at the Upper Deerfield site. Construction started immediately utilizing a "fast tract" strategy. The building was opened on September 7, 1977, with a total enrollment of 1759 students, grades 9 through 12. The first commencement was held on June 21, 1978 for 322 members of the class 1978. More than 6,400 students have graduated since opening in 1977.