My name is Paul Ritter, and I am a teacher of AP Biology, CP Biology, and Anatomy and Physiology at Cumberland Regional High School. I am also a graduate of Rowan University, certified Science Teacher, and Biomedical writer. During the academic semester, my students will have the opportunity to develop and enhance their written, oral, mathematical, analytical, and inquiry based skills.
If you have any questions or concerns, please contact me at any time via email -
My Schedule - Fall 2020 Semester
Block 1 - CP Biology with Research
Block 2 - Prep
Block 3 - CP Biology with Research
Block 4 - AP Biology
Advanced Placement Biology is designed to offer students a solid foundation in an introductory college-level biology course. This course will contribute to the development of the students’ abilities to think clearly and to express their ideas, orally and in writing, with an emphasis on integrating inquiry, reasoning, and quantitative skills. Students will design and master plans for data collection and analysis, apply mathematical routines, and connect concepts in and across primary domains of science (biology, chemistry, physics). Curricular content is framed around “Four Big Ideas” which encompass core scientific principles, theories and processes governing living organisms and biological systems.
THE BIG IDEAS
Big Idea 1 – EVOLUTION (20%): The process of evolution drives the diversity and unity of life.
Big Idea 2 – CELLULAR PROCESSES (30%): Biological systems utilize energy and molecular building blocks to grow, reproduce, and maintain homeostasis.
Big Idea 3 – GENETICS & INFORMATION TRANSFER (30%): Living systems retrieve, transmit, and respond to information essential to life processes.
Big Idea 4 – ECOLOGY (20%): Biological systems interact, and these interactions possess complex properties.
Attention Students and Parents/Guardians
The Novel Coronavirus (Covid-19) Pandemic has necessitated remote instruction for the start of the 2020-2021 school year to protect students and staff from the risk of infection. The status of instruction may change upon further containment of the virus, but until a physical return to campus, the availability of technology resources will allow class instruction to continue via email and Microsoft Teams.
I will be available each block to deliver instruction through the meet feature in Microsoft Teams, clarify directions, address questions on concepts and topics from the Biology curriculum, and review your submissions.
If you require an immediate response to a question outside of the block for instruction on your schedule. I have established daily office hours where I will closely monitor my email for students in all classses between 1:30 - 2:00 pm each day.
You will receive a score for all assignments, and you should submit each assignment via email before specific deadlines that I will communicate to you in email reminders and within the conversation section of Microsoft Teams.
I will also upload Powerpoints, Assignments, Worksheets, Activities Review Questions, Practice Problems, Activities, Projects and other Instructional Materials to the files library in the Microsoft Teams App.
Classroom Procedures to remember on a daily basis.
1. Class Attendance is mandatory and you must log in to our class on Teams at the time indicated on your schedule.
2. You will start class each day with an anticipatory exercise, introductory prompt, review question, or practice problem that I post in the Conversations section of Teams. You simply utilize the reply option to answer the question, and I will indicate a specific time allotment for completion. I will expand upon the concepts and topics from the question prompt in a lesson that will include powerpoint slides and discussion. I will also add a response to the thread in the conversations section of Teams which provides a complete answer to the question prompt that you may save in your notes for later use.
3. You will be accorded time to complete assignments each block, and I will specify the due date for submission (you will download the assingment and submit via email when complete).
4. I wil ask you to complete an Exit Ticket, Critical Analysis Type Question, or direct to view or analyze a website or video before the end of each block. (This will typically occur within the last 5-10 minutes of class).
5. Quizzes and Tests will be posted and accessible via link after completion of specific chapters and units throughout the semester.
If you have questions at any time throughout the semester, please don't hesitate to contact me by email.
Degrees and Certifications: