Cumberland Regional High School
Mr. David C. Bostwick, Jr.
->I. Classroom Procedures
1. Upon entrance into the classroom put homework assignments on the teacher’s desk or a desk specified by the teacher. (I Will Not Remind You Of This Procedure!)
2. Proceed to your seat and begin working on your “Focus Activity” exercise.
3. Take out your textbook, notebook, and writing utensil and be prepared to get started on class assignments.
4. Make sure that your textbook is covered at all times.
5. Participate & cooperate during all class activities.
6a. The bell at the end of class does not dismiss you, I do!
6b. Remain in your seat until you are dismissed.
6c. Keep your book, notebook, etc. out until class is over, or until you are directed to put them away.
6d. If time is allotted for you to begin your homework, you should be working on your assignment, nothing else.
7. Make sure that the area around your desk is clean & neat when you leave. If there is writing on your desk let me know or you will be written up for defacing school property. (Leave The Room The Same Or Better Than It Was When You Arrived!)
8. Trash Basket / Pencil Sharpener: If possible use these at the beginning or near the end of class. If you absolutely have to use these during class do so in a way that will not interrupt the class.
9. Request Lavatory/Nurse passes only when necessary. Please don’t interrupt class activities for either of these. *All students must sign in & out on the proper sheet before exiting the class. *Passes will not be issued for reasons besides lav/nurse. *No passes will be given the first or last 10 minutes of the class. *4-5 minutes maximum for lav passes.
10. Lateness to Class: Will be recorded and addressed according to school policy. *Your entire body must be inside the door, or you are late!
11. If extra help is needed beyond class time see me for a SERA pass.
1. Each student will be required to keep a notebook.
2. Notebook should be separated with the following section headings:
b. Classwork / Homework
c. Tests / Quizzes / Projects
d. Writing Assignments
3. Items in your notebook should be arranged in chronological order from least recent to most recent.
4. Your notebook should help you: stay organized, find assignments, complete assignments, study for quizzes, tests, and exams.
5. Notebook will be checked periodically, with the help of notebook tests.
->III. Paper Heading
1. All assignments will be handed in with the proper heading, on the upper left-hand side of the paper, as follows:
-FIRST LINE:-------à Name, Date & Block
-SECOND LINE--à Assignment (Page # & Problems)
Example: John Cumberland 9/6/21 Block 3
Page 987 (1-10)
->IV. Homework (Expect To Have Homework 3-4 Nights A Week!)
1. Homework assignments will be given at the end of class, on the board & verbally.
2. Be sure to put proper heading on all assignments.
3. Homework is due, in the teacher's desk / place teachers specifies, at the beginning of the class period, unless otherwise specified.
4. Late Assignments: a. Always strive to hand in assignments on time.
b. A late assignment is better than a zero.
c. Assignments (cw/hw) will be accepted 2 days late only, with 10 points deducted for each day late, after that, if opportunity is given to make-up assignments a maximum of 1/2 credit will be given.
5. Absentees: a. See me for make-up work as soon as you return to class.
b. You will have the same number of days to make up an assignment as you were absent.
*It is your responsibility to ask for make-up work!
->V. Tests / Quizzes / Projects
1. I do not like or believe in pop tests or quizzes, you will never have one in my class.
2. As our schedule permits, quizzes & tests on Mondays will be avoided.
3. Prepare for quizzes or tests by:
a. Participating in class & handing in assignments
b. Consulting the organized contents of your notebook.
c. Using the study method that works for you.
*Studying right before the quiz / test is handed out should not be your study method, it won’t work!
4. Students will know at least one day in advance when quizzes / tests will be given.
*Expect 1-2 Quizzes A Week & A Test Every Other Week!
5. If the grade earned on a test/quiz is not to the satisfaction of the student you have the opportunity to retake the quiz/test. It is your responsibility to see me to retake a quiz/test. After grading the 2nd quiz/test the higher grade of the two assessments will be entered into the computer grading system.
*Quizzes/Tests may only be taken/re-taken during SERA.
6. Tests/Quizzes can only be made up during SERA (see me for a time/date to make up the assessment & for a pass).
7. A number of projects will be assigned during the school year each with its own specific due date. If project is not handed in on the due date 10 points per each day late will deducted from the total grade.
->VI. Grading Policy
1. Grading Scale:
2. Marking Period Grade (% System - 3 Categories)
*40% Tests (Tests/Projects/Essays)
*30% Classwork/Homework TOTAL= 100%
3. Curves / Drops:
*In this class, no assignments will be graded on a curve, the grade on the assignment is the grade that will be entered/recorded.
*If you have cooperated, participated, and have done your best in class, I will erase your lowest test score, and replace it with a 100, before a report card is issued.
->VII. Classroom Rules
1. Come to class on time and prepared.
2. Follow directions first time given. When I signal for your attention
stop what you are doing & listen for directions.
3. Raise hand to be recognized.
4. Show respect to teacher, classmates, personal, and school property.
5. When someone else is talking, you are listening.
6. All electronic communication/audio devices should be off & out of sight. If this is not the case, security will be called to confiscate these devices & will hold them until a parent/guardian can come in & pick them up.
1. Verbal Warning
2 . Phone Call
4. Administrative Intervention.
*Consequences will take place in a consistent & fair manner, on a case by case basis. The 4 consequences above may change in order, at the discretion of the teacher & administration. (See Student Handbook For School Discipline Policies).
->IX. Contact Information
1. School Address: 90 Silver Lake Rd.
Bridgeton, NJ 08302
2. Telephone Number/Website: (856)-451-9400 / www.crhsd.org
3. Mr. Bostwick’s #: (856)-451-9400 Ext. 307
4. Mr. Bostwick’s E-Mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
Block 1 Mrs. Bonham: email@example.com Block 2 Mrs. Henry: firstname.lastname@example.org
5. Mr. Bostwick’s Schedule: Block 1: World History (C-308)
Block 2: World History CP (C-308)
Block 3 PREP
Block 4: Street Law CP (C-308)
**If we are not in the school building but school is still in session we will conduct class on Microsoft Teams.**
->X. Differentiated Instruction Classroom
*While in World History students will learn in a differentiated instruction setting. In such a setting, some of the planning, in class activities, out of class assignments, and assessments will happen in accordance with how the student learns best (learning profile), what interests them (interest), and the students readiness for the content (readiness). You will be a success in this class!
->XI. Summing It All Up * Together students, parents/guardians, teachers, administration, staff, board of education, and the community, can work together to make the 2021-2022 school year the best one ever.
*We Look Forward To The Opportunity To Serve As Your Teacher!
Topics of Study
- Age of Exploration
- Age of Revolutions
- World War I
- World War II
- 1945-Present & Current Events
Degrees and Certifications: