VLGR Extra Credit
To earn 5 extra points on your weekly vocabulary quiz, you may choose to create a Vocabulary Card.
On a 4x6” or 5x8” index card, using one of the words from the current unit of study, include the following information and format your card as outlined below:
- Write the word at top-middle of the card.
- Write the root of the word in the middle of the card. Underneath, write the meaning of the root and the language of its origin (Greek or Latin).
- To the left of the root, write the prefix. Underneath of the prefix, write its meaning.
- Write the suffix to the right of the root. Write the meaning of the suffix underneath of it.
- In the lower left corner, write three words with the same root that are not in the unit’s vocabulary list.
- Sketch a drawing (or find an image) that represents the concept of the word in the lower right of the card. (Note: the concept of the word and the definition of the word are two separate ideas. For example, a picture of the definition of pedestrian is a person walking; a picture of the concept could be a foot.)
- Write the word’s part of speech and its definition (in your own words) at the top-middle of the card (underneath where you wrote the complete word).
- Lastly, at the bottom-middle of the card, write an original sentence that correctly uses the word in context. This sentence does not have to match/correlate with your sketch/image.